Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A stranger on the Prarie

I live in Oklahoma now, and I have to say that the general public has a different opinion of me than they did 4 years ago. You see 4 years ago, Pat, Owen, Steve, Darius, and Noel etc were not well known. There was no Sugar Bowl and the immaculate comeback against Louisville was much over-shadowed by other nail biting games that took place on that Mid-October night. We Mountaineer fans know pain...and the worst is getting our asses handed to us when we think that a game will be a simple walk in the park. I won't mention the game that shall not be mentioned, but we all (and so does the rest of the country) know the circumstances and the events that took place afterwards. The friends of Tom Joad knew this t00, and they flocked westward down 1-40 and then down I10 to their little party in the desert. However, as quickly as the football gods rained on our parade and left us with that soul-crushing feeling of defeat and loss of our leader we awarded with an unexpected and dominant victory against an opponent that everyone expected to handle us easily.

After work and on the weekends I pretty much only wear T-Shirts that profess my love for WVU or the Theatrical masterpiece known as The Big Lebowski. (And yes if you are wondering this Dude does, always has, and will continue to abide.) The weather here is hot and dry and it is not conducive to someone of Belgian decent like me. In order to combat the heat I thought a white t-shirt would be perfect. I didn't realize, until I made it out on in public, that it was the shirt I bought after the Fiesta Bowl. For the most part Oklahoma Fans and Okies are the nicest people I have ever lived around and every comment was nice. I did get some dirty looks and one lady in a gas station asked if was from WV. She carded me too so it kind of confirmed it and then told me that she has a cousin in Richmond. I quickly responded that I have an uncle in Dallas.

On Saturdays on Pennsylvania Avenue in OKC, folks stand out on the corners with signs and solicit money from people stopped at the lights. I was feeling good and generally humanitarian and decided to give the guy a dollar. He approached slowly and commented on my WVU license plate on the front of my car; he then noticed my shirt told me I was brave for wearing that in OK. What a difference one game makes. The OU fans, who rightfully consider themselves one of college football's elite, once considered us a cute little team who did well every now and then. Now after one game, they look at us as a maybe not an equal but at least a worthy adversary. (Much like the man in the black pajamas...sorry Walter).

5 comments:

I'm The Chez said...

1. I miss you, friend.
2. Individuals, period, whether from OK, WV, or any where better like you for you, not your team, school, state, loyal homeland. You are worthy of wonderfulness.
3. The Dude ALWAYS abides. Start wearing that apron I gave you. The strange looks will be because you are wearing an apron. The looks of approval will be because THOSE BITCHES KNOW!
4. Hell yes, the mid west knows that we are a contending team. People tell my Dad that all the time in Wichita. They are impressed and act surprised. My Dad says, "Get that look off of your face. It's not my fault you didn't educate yourself of REAL SPORTS and BIG EAST BALL before you met me!"
5. Keep giving. That's what makes a good person a good person, and you a fantastic person. A person who was raised by good people.
6. How much longer until we meet up and move to MOrgantown or Pittsburgh? Charleston really isn't the same without my buddy, The BOY?!

Love you,
The Chez

Bethie said...

This is the best part:

"She carded me too so it kind of confirmed it and then told me that she has a cousin in Richmond. I quickly responded that I have an uncle in Dallas."

[headbutt]

Dolomiteclay said...

Thanks for the posts guys. Its great when people acknowledge WVU when I wear a shirt that supports my team. However, all the acknowledgment in the world can't beat singing country roads in a bar with 100 or so other mountaineer fans or even just having a happy hour beer and discussing point guard depth with some of my favorite lawyers, doctors, and teachers.

TucsonBob said...

90 or so miles from you is the dreaded Henryetta, OK. Not dreaded because it is the hometown of Goldenboy Aikman, but because its where my car and Hayley's car have both broken down on long drives to my beloved desert (second) home. I think Henryetta is the midwest Bermuda Triangle for General Motors products (and the home of some real shifty tow-truck drivers and mechanics). I spent the night in Henryetta at a motel where the front desk consisted mostly of a large glass case housing a large and very much alive snake. I think that place inspired a Rob Zombie film. Do not stop in Henryetta. Do not drive through. Fly over it.
Other than my Henryetta adventures, Oklahoma was pretty OK with me.
Come back soon for a visit. We can talk point guard depth. ("Depth? What are you talking about? They've only got one guy! That's not deep, that's shallow.. like puddle shallow!")

Dolomiteclay said...

Bob we definitely don't have any point guard depth at all. I haven't ventured out of OKC much, but what I have seen has appeared to be the Bermuda triangle of the midwest. ( Or what I would imagine it to be.) I plan on coming back too see everyone around football season for sure. Maybe we can talk about something on the depth chart that is much more pleasing, like linebacker or small forward.