Monday, October 13, 2008

Season recap to this point.....

Greetings everyone.

I've decided to start blogging again. As usual, the content will be random, have many grammatical errors and will often be influenced by the many miller lites in my system. However, my focus from now until late March (hopefully) will be mountaineer athletics and mainly mens football and basketball. So if you like Huggins and captain green bean then stop here from time to time. I'll try to sort things out for you.

I'll start at the beginning....

I have to admit that against Nova I was relieved. I truly thought that running against anyone was a forgone conclusion and the promised passing came on that Labor Day weekend. I left optimistic but concerned about our defense.

Against ECU I had a deck party at my house. The weather was great, food was awesome and plentiful, and many showed up. What transpired was quite possibly the 5th most disappointing loss I have ever had as a mountaineer fan. I think it can be a good thing that we relive these kinds of things so I'm going to briefly relive the top 5.

1. VT football 1999....There is one reason I never leave a game early and never start making calls before we sing country roads.. Khori Ivy catches a Brad Lewis pass over the middle and the upset is on. Ron Mexico, aka Michael Vick, takes the ball around the corner past Barret Green and within field goal range with seconds to play. Todd Graham kicks the field goal as my mom and I talk on the phone.

2. Louisville basketball 2005...Pat Belien was banking threes from 23 feet away, Louisville was in foul trouble, and WVU was going to the final four. WVU went cold, Louisville got hot and and I knew that once they got us into OT there was nothing left to do but the crying. (No I didn't cry.)

3. Miami 1996...undefeated, ranked 8th, seconds to go Tremaine Mack, blocked punt. The season goes into shambles and we lose the bowl game.

4. Pitt 2007....fresh on our minds we need no recap. It is only 4 because I knew we were going to lose that one from about the start of the 2nd quarter. Time to prepare always eases the pain.

5. Miami 2003....Jesus what a turnaround. The greatest run in history only to turned around by what was the worst coverage call by a defensive coordinator in the history of football.

After the ECU debacle, we had a little time to catch our breath, make some excuses and prepare for a Rocky Mtn. High. I went with my attorney and we agreed to have a good time no matter what the outcome of the game was. I now have a new number 5 on the above list. I really thought we would win that one once things got rolling. I had never seen a team run for 300 and only score 14 points. Oh well, on to Denver and a few good meals.

I have heard some say that the win against Marshall was like beating your wife after a bar fight. That is what it felt like for sure. Yet again...300 yards of total offense and only 27 points.

Rutgers was the first noon game in a long time and it felt that way. The team and the crowd seemed to have a hangover. Shit even Stew seemed a little rusty....my guess is that he had some ripple with his green beans the night before. But our lads fought hard and strained.

Syracuse was a daytime version of the Pitt game from last year just with a 92 yard run from Noel Devine "aka...little daddy". Everything else was the same. Pat was out, JB struggled, and Syracuse had the ball for what seemed like a geological era. To continue on the previous analogy that would be like beating the dog after the bar fight.

I will discuss Auburn in another blog at another time....

1 comment:

Bethie said...

it should be noted that a plastic pirate action figure fell victim to an axe-chopping at the ecu deck party. Take heed, diehards: sometimes rough voodoo is not the answer.